Friday, October 5, 2007

The Holy Month of Ramadan

My Muslim friend and co-worker, Mohammad, invited me to fast with him this Friday morning. Ramadan is a Holy month for Muslims, where the devoted fasts from Sun up to Sun down, than partakes a celebratory meal each evening.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan

I told Mohammad, I wasn't much of a faster, which is a throwback to my Mormon days. The Mormon church require its members to fast 24 hours or two meals. Than donate the proceeds for those two meals into a "Fast Offering Fund" for the church.

Fasting for 24 hours cause me great suffering. It was hard on my body, and my mind. All I can think about is food. Going without subsistence can inpede my proformance and my ability to funtion, and if gone long enough, I can become physcally sick. It's important for me to listen to my body.

I do want to honor my friend, Mohammad, and his religious faith by fasting six hours on this, the holist day of the week for Muslims. Mo, (the name we call him at work) You are God! May the Peace of God be with you.

Love and Blessings.

No comments: